poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index1-10 of 23
two kinds of critics and two kinds of critiques  joey  2 Oct 08 8:06AM Thread Closed

there's the crit of 'you're saying the wrong things!', and the crit of 'you're saying this wrong'.

a crit of "you should change 'poodle' into 'cockerspaniel', since i don't like poodles" and a crit of 'if you wrote this with music it would be a poem' are radically different kinds of crit. i think that the second, if maybe obscure to beginners, is actually the crit that helps invent a poem. if the beginner's any good, they'll come back strong with "you're too dumb to hear the music in this!", which is not at all a bad move, but usually is just a kid's turning of the diss to diss back with anything at all. if you talk the beginner into the poem, you can help the beginner become coordinated with words and form enough so that the angry poem they write back at you will at least be consistent and musical. it happens all the time.  the crit of 'change the word' mostly undermines the author's instinct and intuition -- it kills the music and turns an already self-conscious 'thinking piece' into a very lifeless 'thought piece'. thought pieces are usually formed as 'motto' or 'emblem' -- 'aphorism', and not poetry.

re: two kinds of critics and two kinds of critiques  unknown  2 Oct 08 8:13AM Thread Closed

How many fucking threads are you going to start about how to write critiques???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

re: two kinds of critics and two kinds of critiques  joey  2 Oct 08 8:16AM Thread Closed

the point of poetry critical is that we're critics -- we want to find out what 'critic' means and what 'critic' means to 'poetry'.

i don't know how you got here.

> How many fucking threads are you going to start about how to write
> critiques???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

re: two kinds of critics and two kinds of critiques  chuckle_s  2 Oct 08 8:18AM Thread Closed

netsky starts endless threads about various things why should yet another thread about poetry and the critique bother anyone if you dont want to read it then dont you fuckin dingbat

re: two kinds of critics and two kinds of critiques  chuckle_s  2 Oct 08 8:19AM Thread Closed

sorry forgot to quote

> How many fucking threads are you going to start about how to write
> critiques???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

re: two kinds of critics and two kinds of critiques  unknown  2 Oct 08 8:30AM Thread Closed

You need to be critiquing the poem, not the comments by other poets.  You're like the kid in class everyone hates, the one with his hand up in the teacher's face all the time PICK ME, PICK ME!  Even if you don't know the answer, you have to have the attention.  Your life must be incredibly empty if this is all you have to talk about.  

re: two kinds of critics and two kinds of critiques  joey  2 Oct 08 8:38AM Thread Closed

sorry, but that's for american idol poetry, and the point here is to have a dialog with poets about poetry -- what that means is, first, finding the poet and then finding what the poet's preconception of poetry is. in a critical and creative space like this, it's the most honest way to find out how poetry is invented and whether or not you yourself write poetry in any way at all.

you want a sandbox, go to myspace.

personally, i think you're the kid in the class who can't keep up and has to act out. i think kids like that should be put in protected spaces where they aren't challenged. there's myspace, son.

> You need to be critiquing the poem, not the comments by other poets.
> You're like the kid in class everyone hates, the one with his hand up
> in the teacher's face all the time PICK ME, PICK ME!  Even if you
> don't know the answer, you have to have the attention.  Your life
> must be incredibly empty if this is all you have to talk about.  

re: two kinds of critics and two kinds of critiques  Isabelle5  2 Oct 08 10:27AM Thread Closed

Joey, why do you want to know how poetry is invented?  Did you care about how fire was discovered or who invented the wheel?  I am so frustrated by your accusations against most everyone here, we aren't real poets, we aren't having an honest dialogue....can't you just relax and read just for the enjoyment of seeing how other people perceive their world?  Why do you struggle to hard to find something that is not perceivable?  

Tell me when a baby is thought to have begun speech.  Is it when he first says a very garbled MaMa or when he kicks his legs when he sees a bottle or breast?

The same could be said for where poetry comes from - it's a process that you can't see nor should you.  Where would the mystery be if you could watch art form and become?  It's useless to hunt so hard for the beginnings, it's the end result, seems to me, that is important.  Knowing how we came to write is one thing, but trying to know how others came to it, unless they volunteer the info, is possibly none of our business.

We post poems, piece of ourselves we wish to share, we don't post ourselves in sum total for people like you to tear apart for your own amusement.

re: two kinds of critics and two kinds of critiques  unknown  2 Oct 08 11:29AM Thread Closed

you start with the assumption that 'critique' means to point out what is 'wrong' with a piece of writing.

so disheartening. i couldn't read further, and had to keep from puking.

poetry isn't about right and wrong.
and neither is critiquing.

you're absolutely disgusting in your arrogance and obnoxious nature, joey.

re: two kinds of critics and two kinds of critiques  unknown  2 Oct 08 11:45AM Thread Closed

What a willfully ignorant point of view, Isabelle. I think you like to mystify the experience, as though it's a gift from (insert muse or god of choice here), not to be questioned. But really, why come up with a theory of the beginning of the universe? Why care about history? Why study how the human body or mind works? It matters to those who want to know, who want to be better and dare to think they can be. The more I know the more I want to know and the more I know I don't know. It's a worthy process. It's fine that your mind doesn't work that way, but other's do.

Return To Index
1 2 3 | Next

0.59s