poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index1-10 of 56
Wartime poetry  Accuracy0331  7 Jun 09 6:28PM Thread Closed

Just posting a basic thread to see what everyone's opinion is on military poetry and war time poetry, I am interested in finishing my own book and hopefully get it all published. It will include my father and myself's work, his being from Vietnam, mine being from the current Iraq war where I spent two tours as an infantry machine gunner. I hope to hear your thoughts comments concerns and dislikes towards this idea.

re: Wartime poetry  Feminoid  7 Jun 09 7:54PM Thread Closed

We have a couple of 'war' poets on site :) .. and more are always welcome.. the subject is never usually the issue, the honesty of the poet always is ...

..  never having ever seen active service, or been in any type of combat situation, other than personal or social, I find it an intensely interesting view on the world, and humanity.. i have a great emotional pull towards the first and second world wars especially, in terms of the experiences of those involved from home security and life, to the front line terror horror insanity.

Write on! .. speak as you find..

re: Wartime poetry  smugzy  8 Jun 09 1:42AM Thread Closed

I'm with Feminoid! War poetry is fascinating for the insight into the spirit of the soldier and the conditions of war that it affords. Honesty is the key. There is such a long tradition of war poetry and your experiences in Iraq would continue this.

re: Wartime poetry  unknown  8 Jun 09 4:02AM Thread Closed

Strange how the topic of war seems to invariably centre on “combat soldiers.”
A term that  seemingly is applied to many who never see any form of combat at all, and are in reality only button pushers operating from the safety of their bunkers
Whereon the real tragedy, is played out by those helpless civilians slaughtered in their thousands, due in no small way to missile strikes and the brutal incompetence of certain military commanders, who now apply the words “collateral damage” in their excuse for what is clearly international war crimes.

American indifference to this wholesale slaughter shows clearly the state of their particular nation.

Possibly well-written and factual poetry would awaken world opinion to the real horrors of war, and destroy the myth of modern combat hardship.

re: Wartime poetry  Isabelle5  8 Jun 09 7:50AM Thread Closed

American indifference?  You watch too much tv and probably do not even speak to middle America, where most of us live.

If you think middle America is a location, then I know I'm right.  I don't know any Americans who are indifferent and though I know my little post won't change your opinion, I just wanted to speak up for my country, since we spend a ridiculous amount of money and time every day in helping others and working toward ending wars.

The only good thing about war poetry is that it reminds us that the job of peace of not over and that it's everyone's responsibility.

re: Wartime poetry  Feminoid  8 Jun 09 9:30AM Thread Closed

> Strange how the topic of war seems to invariably centre on “combat
> soldiers.”

Well, in my short missive, I did try to include those who are 'behind the scenes' as it were, for example the lives of the Land and Support civilians who, through WW2, provided the backbone to the body of the armed forces in terms of industry, food, clothing, equipment.

A lot of these unseen, unheard stories have only really recently been given the honours they deserve.

re: Wartime poetry  Feminoid  8 Jun 09 9:31AM Thread Closed

>  
> Possibly well-written and factual poetry would awaken world opinion to
> the real horrors of war, and destroy the myth of modern combat
> hardship.

Especially the view point of the indoctrinated terrorist who is willing to slaughter women and children in the name of Allah.

A very interesting point of view, I am sure.

re: Wartime poetry  unknown  8 Jun 09 12:09PM Thread Closed

America.  Putting the 'oops' back into troops.

re: Wartime poetry  Isabelle5  8 Jun 09 12:14PM Thread Closed

Cowards, never seeing the 'own' in Unknown.

> America.  Putting the 'oops' back into troops.

re: Wartime poetry  Cerulise  8 Jun 09 12:19PM Thread Closed

> American indifference to this wholesale slaughter shows clearly the
> state of their particular nation.
>  
> Possibly well-written and factual poetry would awaken world opinion to
> the real horrors of war, and destroy the myth of modern combat
> hardship.

Let's slaughter more americans, then. In fact, let's destroy the world's population. War is all we have to get rid of excess humans, and it doesn't even make a dent. If we had only 1% of the world's population left, that would still be 67 million people. Suddenly, there isn't as much of an energy crisis or a hunger problem, there is more space to live, and a person's individuality matters more. And, besides, we can always make more people... look how easy it was to get 6 billion of them.

What you fail to realize is that the top will always be the top and the bottom will always be pawns. But the top of certain places will have an edge when using their pawns over others because the technology used in western countries is meant to unman the front lines.

But the pawns of our top's enemies don't have that luxury. Instead, they're told to die for their country, a suicide in the name of righteousness that is instead social manipulation.

There is no trust because every political warmonger is a snake. What are we going to do, then? Institute a friendly door-knocking policy? Maybe we should, but that's so far from sound strategy. Siege war isn't effective, or at least that's what master Sun said, but it certainly beats trying to wrest control of an enemy with a fountain pen.

So, you were saying? War crimes? Bombs do this thing called explode. When you have a cell that exists in a civilian neighborhood, you're going to have bloody broken civilian bodies. When you have the suspicion that such a cell exists, you are going to have women and children lying in the street. We aren't going to send in 10,000 marines because "life is precious." It smacks at hypocrisy, and indeed it is, but only because we're whipped into a frenzy (as they are) that our cause is nobler, and righteous. When, in reality, there is no such thing as a noble fight.

War is hell. It is also a neutral institution waged by people. We try to come up with rules and guidelines, values, moral judgments, the idea that there is a right and wrong cause/path, when really there is nothing but death. The people who can wage it with less death should win or exhaust themselves.

Return To Index
1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next

0.926s