poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index1-10 of 11
Writer's Block  cubbzor  27 Jun 09 11:59PM Thread Closed

It seems like the past couple months I haven't been able to write like I used to. Its really weird. I'm in high school, and the majority of my poems were written in class in a notebook. I filled my first notebook up in about 4 months, and most of the work in it was pretty good in my opinion. After that, I got a new notebook, and I really haven't been able to write good, quality poems in a long time. To be honest, everything I have written in this new notebook has been consistently bad. I don't know if I am trying too hard or not. To sum it up , I am having a massive-month long writer's block, and I need some help/advice

It's frustrating. I would say that my first poem was my best, and I haven't come close to getting in that ballpark since.

Styrofoam Blocks?  Reid_Welch  28 Jun 09 2:37AM Thread Closed

Don't worry; you don't have "writers' block". You are Youth, going through the most uneven, difficult era of every human's life.

At times, you are a font of "must write!".  At other times: no ink in your pen.

In part, this is due to your natural worries about Tomorrow, about your future.

Time sorts all worries out.

The longer you live, the less you worry.  This is universally true, as a general thing.

I don't worry.  Sometimes I can write a good poem; other times: nothing.

POINT: don't try to force your Muse.

Also, years of just living and interacting with others, dealing with life-stresses, etc, will, inevitably make you wiser and cooler and quick on the draw of the pen or tap on the keyboard.

Relax and don't worry, period.  

Truth,
r.

The Forever Example: don't force any thing or one  Reid_Welch  28 Jun 09 2:50AM Thread Closed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SJxpouYg_w
Ling Po/Harold Lloyd, forever one and the same.

Play this every day and learn more about your true self!

super Truth,

r.

re: The Forever Example: don't force any thing or one  syrossoul  28 Jun 09 5:50AM Thread Closed

try putting your head between your knees.

re: Writer's Block  trashpoodle  28 Jun 09 8:27AM Thread Closed

don't write when you don't need to. do something else with your hands -- play the piano and listen to music. writing should only come from necessity. you're writing here, now, and you're saying something you mean. that means you can still write. but, why not write a story for a change -- put some characters on the page -- do it with all your art, and watch the characters act together. if you set it up right, you'll see what's what and be able to write convincing dialog from their talking.

most of us are only able to write one good poem in our entire lifetime. the rest is just preparation for that one poem, or else lamenting ditties and verse in the style of that one good poem.

let it go.

> It seems like the past couple months I haven't been able to write
> like I used to. Its really weird. I'm in high school, and the
> majority of my poems were written in class in a notebook. I filled my
> first notebook up in about 4 months, and most of the work in it was
> pretty good in my opinion. After that, I got a new notebook, and I
> really haven't been able to write good, quality poems in a long time.
> To be honest, everything I have written in this new notebook has been
> consistently bad. I don't know if I am trying too hard or not. To sum
> it up , I am having a massive-month long writer's block, and I need
> some help/advice
>
> It's frustrating. I would say that my first poem was my best, and I
> haven't come close to getting in that ballpark since.

re: Writer's Block  JKWeb  28 Jun 09 9:22AM Thread Closed

Cub-

You could try a writing exercise...What I do is grab a dictionary and pick out 10 or 20 of my favorite words...just start with a line using one of those words...with that line you can often build a poem...or you could try a line of alliteration like...and this is just an example mind you...'the baker baked bagel bread in a brick oven'...I doubt you want to write about a baker but you get the picture...sometimes, when I'm in a writer's rut, instead of trying to write, I read the works of my favorite poet and amazingly, I'll write a poem after...it's not based on any one particular thing I read...I somehow get inspired...I hope this helps...if nothing else, see if you can't purchase a poetry writing exercise book...good luck...
> It seems like the past couple months I haven't been able to write
> like I used to. Its really weird. I'm in high school, and the
> majority of my poems were written in class in a notebook. I filled my
> first notebook up in about 4 months, and most of the work in it was
> pretty good in my opinion. After that, I got a new notebook, and I
> really haven't been able to write good, quality poems in a long time.
> To be honest, everything I have written in this new notebook has been
> consistently bad. I don't know if I am trying too hard or not. To sum
> it up , I am having a massive-month long writer's block, and I need
> some help/advice
>
> It's frustrating. I would say that my first poem was my best, and I
> haven't come close to getting in that ballpark since.

re: Writer's Block  trashpoodle  28 Jun 09 1:35PM Thread Closed

that just teaches you how to make stick figures, but it's got nothing to do with writing a poem. you can call your pattern a poem, but you might as well call it a star chart made by using words from the dictionary instead of stars.

the only thing that really works to make poetry is to read other poetry -- and, sometimes it's just that you're not in that balance of motion and idea which allows you to write a poem. it might just be that it's better to read a novel or watch a movie, than try to force yourself to write. the only thing which comes from crushing the words together is 'essay' and 'epigram' and 'obituary' -- you can see that happening here all the time.

> Cub-
>
> You could try a writing exercise...What I do is grab a dictionary and
> pick out 10 or 20 of my favorite words...just start with a line using
> one of those words...with that line you can often build a poem...or
> you could try a line of alliteration like...and this is just an
> example mind you...'the baker baked bagel bread in a brick oven'...I
> doubt you want to write about a baker but you get the
> picture...sometimes, when I'm in a writer's rut, instead of trying
> to write, I read the works of my favorite poet and amazingly, I'll
> write a poem after...it's not based on any one particular thing I
> read...I somehow get inspired...I hope this helps...if nothing else,
> see if you can't purchase a poetry writing exercise book...good
> luck...
> > It seems like the past couple months I haven't been able to write
> > like I used to. Its really weird. I'm in high school, and the
> > majority of my poems were written in class in a notebook. I filled
> my
> > first notebook up in about 4 months, and most of the work in it was
> > pretty good in my opinion. After that, I got a new notebook, and I
> > really haven't been able to write good, quality poems in a long
> time.
> > To be honest, everything I have written in this new notebook has
> been
> > consistently bad. I don't know if I am trying too hard or not. To
> sum
> > it up , I am having a massive-month long writer's block, and I need
> > some help/advice
> >
> > It's frustrating. I would say that my first poem was my best, and I
> > haven't come close to getting in that ballpark since.

re: Writer's Block  unknown  28 Jun 09 7:29PM Thread Closed

Maybe you have said all you need to say up to this point. Think about all the bands out there that are one hit wonders. Some people can write their entire life non-stop. Issac Asimov comes to mind. Others write in spurts, and others write for instance, Catcher in the Rye and don't do much else. Luckily you are young so you probably will write in spurts.

Writers block is a self-limiting couple of words that shouldn't even be whispered around writers - lol

re: Writer's Block  trashpoodle  28 Jun 09 7:33PM Thread Closed

poets... look at yeats. most of his collected work is garbage. same with wallace stevens, and yet these two wrote a couple of the greatest single poems in the english language. it's not that we're playwrights or novelists, where we have this one story to keep telling over and over, unless it's done at different times of your life, with different contents and surfaces.

"writer's block" is for prose writers. poets sing when they can and cry when they can't, and like it that way.

> Maybe you have said all you need to say up to this point. Think about
> all the bands out there that are one hit wonders. Some people can
> write their entire life non-stop. Issac Asimov comes to mind. Others
> write in spurts, and others write for instance, Catcher in the Rye and
> don't do much else. Luckily you are young so you probably will write
> in spurts.
>
> Writers block is a self-limiting couple of words that shouldn't even
> be whispered around writers - lol

re: Writer's Bic-Block  Reid_Welch  28 Jun 09 8:13PM Thread Closed

That's a brand of ink pen.

Anyway, Joey/Mike/TP actually made some good sense in his opening reply to this thread.  

I say again, and some/most of you will concur:  DON'T WORRY.
Fact: probably nothing that you ever write will affect people in any lasting or good way.

Do other things when you are not in Writing It Out mode.
Have said before:  chill, take a walkie, pet the dog, feed the pigeons,

SOCIALIZE with real, nice people: preferably total strangers, for five minutes, then they are out of your life.

Socialize here, talk, yak, harangue:  I get most of my poetic-sparks (dim ones too), by inspiration that flashes after, or during, a messy board discussion.

But months go by and I'll write nothing "poetic".
I'll write technical stuff at the ebike board.  Solid, real, people there,
no crybabies, like I am, also, when here, at times....

There is no more artificial barrier than to self-label one's self as a "victim" of "writers' block".

Cliche: strike while the iron is hot.  Otherwise, look out for scraps and snippets of life-fabric, by which you can someday make a quilt of words,

warm and cuddly, or frayed and stinky: does not matter.

No-one is liable to be reading your works after you've put them, and yourself, away for "keeps".  Into the trashpile with all of us and our works, with only the rarest, famous exceptions.

Yeah...be Sylvia Plath, or that "wonderful man", Rob't Frost, or what's his name, the late-life poet sensation who was in daily life, a postal worker?  Miserable, forced, people you should run away from, and never envy.  Love yourself even when at a loss for words!  Then you will be happy.  Happy creators make good things: cakes, puppies trained to not pee the carpet, and, rarely, a poem of lasting value to mankind.  Only, you will never know the latter.

My pen has just run dry.  Po' lil meeee.   I think I will take a bike ride in the black of night.   Who knows?  Either I get run down, or I get into better mental and physical shape,

and whilst I do other things, in my pea-brain, stews: the Next Poem.
I have no idea what it will be.  Who the fuck cares, anyway?

cheers and hugs to all,
r.

Return To Index
1 2 | Next

0.589s