poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index1-10 of 16
Help - In search of a specific Poem  jdove  26 Dec 13 11:38AM Thread Closed

Hello all,

I am searching for a well known poem.  I cannot remember the poet or the name of the poem.  Here is what I do remember....

* I believe it is from an American author
* 18th or 19th century
* I believe the poem begins with the main character (a man) leaving his home... leaving his "love" to go on a journey.  During the journey/walk, I believe he encounters evilness / temptation... he may have to chose between two paths.... I believe there may be mention of rocks covered by ice or snow...  I believe the poem is about coming back to his love / coming back home.... and he eventually does come back home at the end (I think).
* It is a well-known poem and probably appears on many college syllabuses
* It is NOT The Road Not Taken - Frost
* It is NOT the Long Trail - Kipling

Any thoughts message board?

Thanks in advance.

re: Help - In search of a specific Poem  jdove  26 Dec 13 11:46AM Thread Closed

* What he experiences on his journey may partially represent the political environment of the time
* I believe the environment described is a New England winter.

re: Help - In search of a specific Poem  Cerulise  27 Dec 13 11:38AM Thread Closed

Walt Whitman? I don't know; save your syllabus and you could look it up again!

re: Help - In search of a specific Poem  jenakajoffer  30 Dec 13 6:20AM Thread Closed

I enjoyed that response by an unknown who said "if it's American then who cares".

Which again, a harmless comment was deleted by mods.

It was just a point of view probably suggesting that GB started it all, and it's true. That's where the magic began.

re: Help - In search of a specific Poem  unknown  30 Dec 13 6:52AM Thread Closed

Could it possibly be
Song of the Open Road
By Walt Whitman

It mentions a wife at the end and it talks about seeing a cadaver.

I am not sure if it is the poem you seek but old Walt makes it onto may a syllabus, although he is far from a favorite of mine.

Good luck.

re: Help - In search of a specific Poem  unknown  30 Dec 13 6:53AM Thread Closed

excuse me "many" a syllabus.

re: Help - In search of a specific Poem  Cerulise  3 Jan 14 2:21PM Thread Closed

> * It is NOT the Long Trail - Kipling

In a tangent, wasn't Kipling from Ireland?

re: Help - In search of a specific Poem  unknown  4 Jan 14 1:12PM Thread Closed

> > * It is NOT the Long Trail - Kipling
>
> In a tangent, wasn't Kipling from Ireland?

So are most Americans

re: Help - In search of a specific Poem  unknown  4 Jan 14 4:25PM Thread Closed

> So are most Americans

incorrect. the biggest ethnic group in America is of Spanish descent. always has been too.

re: Help - In search of a specific Poem  Cerulise  4 Jan 14 4:56PM Thread Closed

> So are most Americans

You may not have met any, but we're a lot more multi-cultural than what's perceived by those in another country-- after all, I've seen a bunch of Vietnamese fishers in my own state. Plus, this is the United States, Canada has plenty of the French from long ago, and Mexico is an amalgamation of conquistadors' descendants from breeding with the tribes from long ago. If you wanted to think about how broad this land is, try and imagine that this is only the North America continent, and I haven't even gotten to what's going on in Panama.

So why don't you go on a tour in Nicaragua so you can chill with a guerrilla?

Return To Index
1 2 | Next

1.162s