poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index1-10 of 20
Robin  unknown  12 Aug 14 2:57AM Thread Closed

http://youtu.be/vdXhWS7lLvs

re: Robin  mr_e  12 Aug 14 6:04PM Thread Closed

Great link.. Such a sad thing, depression.. What a legacy and life he leaves behind though, right? Tragic that he died in such a way.. but hopefully such a man dying will lead to some sort of cure or at least funding, for people with depression.

Also, Thats the movie I always think about when I think of robin Williams. And growing up watching mork and mindy in the 80s... Most inspiring clip for me:
http://youtu.be/aS1esgRV4Rc

re: Robin  jenn  12 Aug 14 6:23PM Thread Closed

In all honesty, I was never a big fan of his. It's a personal taste thing, I know .. but apart from Mork and Mindy (which I absolutely love) and some of his live stand-up stuff .. I really didn't like any of his movies at all.

In fact, we were so offended by the hand-wringing, America trying to cleanse its soul drivel of Good Morning Vietnam we walked out of cinema half way through the movie.

There's only ever been one, anywhere close to the truth, accurate 'movie' portrayal of the insanity of the Vietnam War and that's Apocalypse Now ... Good Morning Vietnam was a .Gov sponsored white washing piece of propaganda in comparison.

I know people loved him, his movies, his skill with comedy and language .. and yes I agree he was skilled with comedy and language ...

... and I haven't seen everything he's done ... the tv show The Crazy Ones has had good reviews .. but then again, I'm not a review trusting type of person .. got to see it myself :)

So, I can't really dismiss his entire body of work .. but what I have seen and what I have experienced .. well, it's entirely subjective. A taste thing.

I sympathise with those who loved him through his career, but for me my love of him stops round about the mid/late 80's with his comedy stand-up shows ... the rest seems diluted, designed, generic.

RIP though, Robin.

re: Robin  Ananke  12 Aug 14 8:33PM Thread Closed

Never saw Good Morning Vietnam, for me, my experience with him was the kids movies. Aladdin, Jumanji, Hook.

And then later Dead Poet's Society and What Dreams May Come,

He was a major pillar of my childhood.

> In all honesty, I was never a big fan of his. It's a personal taste
> thing, I know .. but apart from Mork and Mindy (which I absolutely
> love) and some of his live stand-up stuff .. I really didn't like any
> of his movies at all.
>
> In fact, we were so offended by the hand-wringing, America trying to
> cleanse its soul drivel of Good Morning Vietnam we walked out of
> cinema half way through the movie.
>
> There's only ever been one, anywhere close to the truth, accurate
> 'movie' portrayal of the insanity of the Vietnam War and that's
> Apocalypse Now ... Good Morning Vietnam was a .Gov sponsored white
> washing piece of propaganda in comparison.
>
> I know people loved him, his movies, his skill with comedy and
> language .. and yes I agree he was skilled with comedy and language
> ...
>
> ... and I haven't seen everything he's done ... the tv show The
> Crazy Ones has had good reviews .. but then again, I'm not a review
> trusting type of person .. got to see it myself :)
>
> So, I can't really dismiss his entire body of work .. but what I have
> seen and what I have experienced .. well, it's entirely subjective. A
> taste thing.
>
> I sympathise with those who loved him through his career, but for me
> my love of him stops round about the mid/late 80's with his comedy
> stand-up shows ... the rest seems diluted, designed, generic.
>
> RIP though, Robin.

re: Robin  Cerulise  12 Aug 14 9:13PM Thread Closed

I don't think he was Canadian enough to be funny in North America.

re: Robin  jenn  12 Aug 14 9:57PM Thread Closed

> Never saw Good Morning Vietnam, for me, my experience with him was the
> kids movies. Aladdin, Jumanji, Hook.
>
> And then later Dead Poet's Society and What Dreams May Come,
>
> He was a major pillar of my childhood.

Yeh, he was for many. For me he was always Mork .. that was his golden moment :)

re: Robin  Isabelle5  13 Aug 14 5:18AM Thread Closed

He made me laugh and made me think.  Good Will Hunting, Mrs. Doubtfire, Dead Poet's Society and yes, Good Morning, Vietnam.  It was a movie, it wasn't a government sponsored 'piece,' it was theatre and you either love the humor mixed with tragedy and horror or you don't.  He was mentally ill, OCD, ADD, depression, addiction.  It's always amazing to try to figure out if I am hurt for the man, who almost 100% of us never met, didn't know, or the characters.

With all the adulation of strangers, he was empty somehow.  My son told me when he was young, "I'm going to be famous!"  I asked him "Are you sure you want that?"  To have millions of people 'loving' him, he still died alone in his pain.  I'm not a critic, sometimes his constant talking annoyed me but he was just a man with brain chemical issues trying to make it through just one more day.

Until the day he said, "I quit."  We didn't really know Robin at all, only who he pretended to be.  Which makes me wonder if I really know people around me or only who they pretend to be.  Is anyone authentic, even in their mental illness?  Be gentle with others but be gentle with yourself first.  You are important even if the world (especially if the world!) has no idea you exist.

re: Robin  unknown  13 Aug 14 9:02AM Thread Closed

Why do people have fixations on actors who are only playing a role?

How shallow does ones perception need to become to turn acting into reality.

The actor is merely guided puppet obeying the script writers command.

re: Robin  plath  13 Aug 14 11:13AM Thread Closed

re: Robin unknown @ 82.3.126.17 (in Robin) (unsuspend)

re: Robin  mr_e  13 Aug 14 3:49PM Thread Closed

The lesson in robin Williams death is surely that age old thing- that you mention Isabelle.. Fame doesn't make you happy- also, that mental illness is badly misunderstood.. Lots of people saying "why did he do it" or calling him selfish, or trying to connect an event in his life as to a reason he took his own life (assuming for sure that he did) It's all quite simple.. As he said himself- tongue in cheek, but evidentally prophetic.."suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems".. he is dead because he had severe depression and the tools being used to combat depression that are currently in place are not good enough..

Return To Index
1 2 | Next

2.805s