poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index1-7 of 7
UK Poetey in songs late sixties  Rossant  21 May 16 5:32AM Thread Closed

I am intersted in late sixties poetry.  I love the way it entered songs ie White Room written by Pete Brown for Cream and Twink the drummer for Tomorrow doing 10,000 Words im a cardboard box

re: UK Poetey in songs late sixties  cadmium  21 May 16 6:47AM Thread Closed

thee were some strange and wonderful lyrics back in the day. as with cream, the simpler the better... though, i never really figured out where some of the lyrics were coming from. they made sense on acid, but so did a water drip.

re: UK Poetey in songs late sixties  mr_e  26 May 16 3:59PM Thread Closed

i think music is moving away from lyrics into just music videos and dancing...since the 60s... anyhow I like this one from 1964, (not quite late 60s lol)A malvina reynolds song written after the jfk assassination..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRxvaVhVN7A

re: UK Poetey in songs late sixties  mr_e  26 May 16 4:04PM Thread Closed

i sound like such a pretentious and ignorant prick...UK poetry.. so i pick an american... and 1964, not even late 60s.. i  dunno.. i guess i was excited about this topic too much.. can't delete my previous post... SHRUG

re: UK Poetey in songs late sixties  cadmium  27 May 16 8:10AM Thread Closed

lyrics aren't really the meaning of the song. that's the problem. lyrics have to be dumb enough to allow themselves to meld with the music into a song at all. you can add music to anything and make it singable by someone -- some great singer -- if you want that. best, is when the song is in some language i don't understand. then it's just music. the initial offering here of Cream lyric is good, because they were pretty much speed freak lyrics and simply looked good instead of actually meaning anything more than 'shove it up your...' power tripping on speed.

> i sound like such a pretentious and ignorant prick...UK poetry.. so i
> pick an american... and 1964, not even late 60s.. i  dunno.. i guess i
> was excited about this topic too much.. can't delete my previous
> post... SHRUG

re: UK Poetey in songs late sixties  cadmium  29 May 16 11:43AM Thread Closed

there's a hunger for comfort or a delight in what words say. maybe both sometimes. but, who are you looking at when the words of a song strike you? sometimes it's the writer, but mostly it's the person you need. and, with music it's always either the composer or the cosmos -- the composer doing something on my soul and the cosmos welcoming me further and beyond what i think.

by the late sixties were were toast, burnt down by acid and the failure of having any real influence on the war or justice -- nothing seemed to really change. and, the beetles and stones gave us escapist lyrics, and so did cream. dylan went to shit, trying to escape this box he was born in and couldn't smile his way out of... went cowboy. everyone went somewhere else. traffic, peter frampton, the who... and, if you really want to know what was wrong with the late sixties, groups like blood, sweat and tears, or sneaky cat stevens -- exploit the innocents, make a cosmically-correct buck, get benefits.

re: UK Poetey in songs late sixties  cadmium  29 May 16 12:40PM Thread Closed

you can't call it 'poetry' though. poetry exists in a music that only the poet hears -- it's a lyric to the unknowable music, the music only i can hear. you can't hear it, but you can feel it in the poem, the way the poem works you into the feeling that you should be reading this in the poet's space, and not in a user space, a space to get-a-good-day fact. and, the facts we look for are so lamer -- who did this to me, what's that doing to him -- where to find it. crap like that.

the very worst music came at the end of world war two, where people were just too tired to pay attention -- the lyrics were any novelty prose that sparked -- anything that dragged the brain out of its stupor. i'm not even going to name some of those songs. you either are into music enough that you've bumped into them, or you don't need to be exposed. some of the fifties lyrics were pretty bad, true, but the energy music was all about teen need. you can sell anything to teens. it may be poetic to think of teens doing some romeo and juliet trip, but the actual words were just utility grade cliche dumps into hump sound. if you want to call it poetry, that's fine, but you'd better accept the bag lady calling you a rich fairy too, cause, 'it's all subjective', no? it's not poetry, it's lyric writing for pop/rock commercial products.

Return To Index

2.125s