poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index1-5 of 5
"and, who says what's a poem and what isn't?"  cadmium  15 Jan 17 4:04PM Thread Closed

when did you first see something as a poem? where were you told about poetry?

i had a high school teacher who encouraged me, told me that what i was writing was poetry. that was a bad thing to do. she meant well, but my stuff was just the stuff 17 year old pretentious emo semi-educated, semi-literate word-shitters write. i didn't need to have her encouragement -- i wasn't writing to express beauty, i was writing to put myself into the world, to be appreciated by the modern poets i really liked. i wanted to be a poet with other poets -- i wanted to live my life as a poet. she should have shredded me -- made me find myself in words, not in attitude.

when i got to cambridge in massachusetts i applied to harvard -- my friends were there -- and, included my poetry in the application. i didn't do well at all in high school, low grades except in art and english -- but, they provisionally admitted me because they liked that i was a writer -- what could they have seen? that desire is the energy, and they saw i had spirit? -- and, my poetry was more or less ferlinghetti and ginsberg beat poetry, and karl shapiro new york poetry, not keats or t.s. eliot at all. I think they were wrong to enable me, and as good as being at harvard was for me -- for the people and challenges, they should not have admitted me as a general harvard undergrad. harvard lit profs didn't really care about creativity, and if you wrote like t.s. eliot they'd approve and if you didn't write lamer academic-enabled poetry they'd do the tsk-tsk shit the children of powerful middle-class whatevers used to put people in their place. i survived because basically -- as you can seem from what i do here -- i live off other people's knowledge and energize those people into telling me what's really what, what the world is really like through their eyes and in their experience. that feeds poetry too, feeds the vocabulary. and, you learn to think conceptually.

so, where are you at with poetry? what's your experience with funny line breaks and song...?

re:  starr  15 Jan 17 5:38PM Thread Closed

I was newly sixteen, experiencing my first heartbreak and out comes "A Sour Moon," which is posted here.  The very second that lemon wedge doubled as a metaphor for the moon, I KNEW I was  a Language Sculptor.  I brought it to school with me the next day, showed it to my Theatre Arts teacher and he was blown away.  I'll never 4get his pride in me.  That's when I knew I was onto sumpthin' and from that day on, I've always paid attention 2 the voices inside my head.  After that, it was "Black Girl" (also posted here.)  I haven't stopped writing since.  :-) <3

re: re:  unknown  15 Jan 17 5:50PM Thread Closed

someone called cadmium often talks about what is and what isn't a poem.

re: re:  cadmium  15 Jan 17 7:01PM Thread Closed

> I was newly sixteen, experiencing my first heartbreak and out comes
> "A Sour Moon," which is posted here.  The very second that lemon
> wedge doubled as a metaphor for the moon, I KNEW I was  a Language
> Sculptor.  I brought it to school with me the next day, showed it to
> my Theatre Arts teacher and he was blown away.  I'll never 4get his
> pride in me.  That's when I knew I was onto sumpthin' and from that
> day on, I've always paid attention 2 the voices inside my head.
> After that, it was "Black Girl" (also posted here.)  I haven't
> stopped writing since.  :-)

one thing that queered it for me, was when the teacher said i ought to submit to Poetry Magazine. i knew that i was just doing covers and had no control over what i wrote, even if, as you, i wrote from the soul. soul has no language, it's our power and energy, but it depends on our mind to know when to soul it and when not.

re: re:  cadmium  15 Jan 17 7:06PM Thread Closed

> someone called cadmium often talks about what is and what isn't a
> poem.

all real poets in history and now, people you respect as writers and talk with, want to talk about where poetry comes from, because none of us knows. and, it's not like we're talking to get praise and appreciation, not after you talk through the games and all. it's to really say you don't understand and yet it seemed to have worked this time, but not that time. you really talk honestly -- and, poets don't say, ooh, i saw the most beautiful sunset and there was this girl, unless they're making a point -- showing what the wanted to write and realizing that there was no beauty or sex in the girl or sunset, that those things exist without and beyond us. it's that we were trying to make it personal and didn't know how to say it because we didn't know what part of us we were asking, and who to write for. and, that's what experienced writers can help you with. not spelling and word form, but translation of dream into symbol and phrase.

This thread has been closed to new comments by a moderator.

Return To Index

0.35s