poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index1-7 of 7
alternative-facts and Poetry critique  AlchemiA  23 Jan 17 1:15PM Thread Closed

alternative-fact: when I parse with the mind, it makes for a slippery trope ...

alternative-view: when I see with the heart, I swell with the feeling of hope ...

However, when I look and look and dare to really see my wonder turns to awe as my eyes glimmer with the beauty that I saw.

re: alternative-facts and Poetry critique  AlchemiA  23 Jan 17 1:17PM Thread Closed

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anaïs Nin

re: alternative-facts and Poetry critique  cadmium  23 Jan 17 1:46PM Thread Closed

poetry and mind is river to floating leaves. but, there's a surface merging of the two, so that leaf enters water, and water enters air; the sky, the pond at the end of the mind.

re: alternative-facts and Poetry critique  AlchemiA  23 Jan 17 1:57PM Thread Closed

nice -- "poetry and mind is river to ... the end of mind."

Language is a bridge, connecting; while Poetry is the stream below, burbling, gurgling and making many reflections...

re: alternative-facts and Poetry critique  cadmium  23 Jan 17 2:01PM Thread Closed

poetry is in language, but, the energy of poetry is passion, and the energy of prose is transaction. passion keeps language as melody,  and mind keeps prose as data.

re: alternative-facts and Poetry critique  AlchemiA  24 Jan 17 9:45AM Thread Closed

"Never was there, perhaps, more hollowness at heart than at present, and here in the United States... The spectacle is appalling. We live in an atmosphere of hypocrisy throughout... The depravity of the business classes of our country is not less than has been supposed, but infinitely greater. The official services of America are saturated in corruption, bribery, falsehood, maladministration; and the judiciary is tainted. The great cities reek with respectable as much as non-respectable robbery and scoundrelism... The best class we show, is but a mob of fashionably dress'd speculators and vulgarians."

-- Walt Whitman, "Democratic Vistas" (1871)

re: alternative-facts and Poetry critique  cadmium  24 Jan 17 1:46PM Thread Closed

problem with our romantic american revolution heritage is that it makes the common people into snobs, with the idea of a pure democracy, a purity in mind, laid over the necessity of taking from someone else. poets are deluded into thinking that all men are created equal, while -- as this sermon from whitman shows -- nobody else is good enough for us. you're canadian, alc. i don't think you guys have this kind of hypocrisy needling you -- this, "help your neighbor but keep a gun" split.

democracy has to be a process or it's an institution. if it's an institution, then what part of the structure contributes to democracy, and what part maintains the status quo? All we can do is just try to do the right thing, whatever that is. parliamentarianism demands that we relinquish control to someone else -- someone who can speak for us. their thing is never our thing, no matter how good-hearted they are at election time.

Return To Index

0.516s