poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index1-8 of 8
what is poetry for you as a writer of poetry?  cadmium  4 Jun 18 6:39PM Post Reply

is it a witnessing to replace your childhood religion's witnessing? a witnessing of truth and a testament telling of the beauty of life if life were lived well?

re: what is poetry for you as a writer of poetry?  unknown  5 Jun 18 9:06AM Post Reply

No

re: what is poetry for you as a writer of poetry?  unknown  5 Jun 18 9:17AM Post Reply

It's a random letting that sometimes requires subjecting one's self to the claws of depression in the hope that the reward is euphoria. Alcohol, for me, can be a mental aphrodisiac, but I have to risk paying a price to achieve any level of creativity. It doesn't always work out.    

re: what is poetry for you as a writer of poetry?  cadmium  5 Jun 18 7:05PM Post Reply

is poetry a special wording which is so close to nature that feeling and saying are one? that, said as poetry, wording can only be true because it's made within feeling and not with the contradictory mind?

re: what is poetry for you as a writer of poetry?  unknown  6 Jun 18 9:58AM Post Reply

"....feeling and saying are one" - that's exactly what I was trying to convey.
"is poetry a special wording...." - I don't think so because the vast majority is not very good. It's not only confined to poetry though, but, as in any written piece (movie, song, speech, etc), to reach that meld is rare and is the catalyst for powerful communication which separates the chaff from the wheat.
This is the primary reason why people struggle to write anything of substance because you can't manufacture that state of mind. its not a cerebral light switch, as such.
So, while I said that alcohol is my pass to release inhibitions it also enables me to reach a sensory level that allows a sort of role play that is empathetic to characters.
The danger associated with this is that to go through the process of writing something sordid, depressing or meaningful you (I) have to adopt that role to be believable. Chances are nothing may come of it other than you've got your self in a depressed state and that's not always creative and a little risky.

re: what is poetry for you as a writer of poetry?  cadmium  6 Jun 18 11:55AM Post Reply

what if some of the writing posted here is a fail as poetry but the beginning of a short story? some people have a hard time balancing their need to be liked and a need to accomplish something remarkable. they'd probably do better just story'ing out and not trying to sell themselves as a poet.

re: what is poetry for you as a writer of poetry?  unknown  10 Jun 18 9:37AM Post Reply

Do you think Steven King felt the threat of that dog when he wrote?

re: what is poetry for you as a writer of poetry?  unknown  10 Jun 18 9:38AM Post Reply

> what if some of the writing posted here is a fail as poetry but the
> beginning of a short story? some people have a hard time balancing
> their need to be liked and a need to accomplish something remarkable.
> they'd probably do better just story'ing out and not trying to sell
> themselves as a poet.
Nup

Return To Index

1.125s